Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lolly update!

Well, all of a sudden it's like Lolly is huge! She seems like such a big baby now! It has snuck up on us, and now she seems enormous, all legs and arms. She is still without any teeth, though. We went to the paediatrician last Friday – not that there is anything wrong, just that Dave and I wanted a good check for any signs of Cerebral Palsy, given Snail's disability. Nothing, he was confident she was fine, but we're going back at one year for a last “let's be sure” check up. It's strange, I am confident she is developing normally, but with he appointment looming, I got a bit nervous that there was something we're not seeing. And occasionally the way she holds her arms back (normal for babies!) reminds Dave and I of Snail.

Anyway, I was relieved to get an “official” there are no signs, even though I felt this myself. I guess there are times when you want an expert, even if you have doubts about medical models in other aspects of early childhood.

So, he weighed and measured her, which I hadn't done in ages (not being terribly fond of child health centres). She is 7.6 kilos and 68cms. So there you go, baby quantified!

Lolly had some sweet potato yesterday at lunch at M's place - it was mashed up a little and we gave her a spoon to play with it. She loved it! Some went in, evidence in today's nappy!

I get a little unsure with baby-led solids - it seems so counter-intuitive to give a baby a big chunk of stuff to eat. I know intellectually that it is fine, she's not going to choke and die, but the adreneline has still been pumping a little high. So mashing things and giving her the spoon to experiment with is a compromise to my adrenal system at this early stage of her eating career. That and pieces of fruit, and wheat-free rusks and rice cakes. She is just getting tastes at the moment, which is all I want for her. She is still 100% breastfed, and this is how it should be. Food is about exploring the world of taste, not for getting nutrients at this early age.

She is becoming very aware of her surroundings, and has just started to indicate when she doesn't want to do something, in the sense of a preference rather than a need. She can cry out when I change her shirts now, she doesn't enjoy it, but rather only tolerates it. Same with the car seat when putting her in. She seems to be letting me know that she would rather not do this thing now, but is easily soothed with an explanation and persistance in the activity!

Smash and Snail back tomorrow!

No comments: