Thursday, May 5, 2011

First Day at School!

Yes, you read it right, we're doing Montessori education round these parts, so our small person is off to school at three.  As attachment parenting crazy hippies people, this has been a hard thing to do.  Three is little.  She still needs me.   Anyhoo, I do love Montessori as an educational philosophy, so we're giving it a try, despite misgivings about how young she is to start.    

Washing up at "Nido"
Lolly and I have been doing the infant and toddler program at her Montessori School on and off for quite a while, these sessions are where I'd attend with her for 2 and a half hours.  But now, she's starting what is often called Cycle 1, which is the class for the 3-6 year group.  At the school we've chosen, she starts with 3 hour sessions in the mornings, building up to every weekday.  Now, neither of us are ready for that action, so we did a couple of hour long sessions last week to start her off, and that went well, so she did two three hour sessions this week. 

Her:  School!!  Hooray!  Can I go again now!!  Well, not quite.  She did just fine when she was there (so her teachers tell me), but on the second day of the longer session she didn't want to go in.  Not upset with tears, just a bit sad and shy.  She had some sad on the way home on her first 3 hour day, and has been...errr...emotionally creative (!!) ever since, but that's normal, it's literally the only time she's been out of the care of either DinnerDad or Nanna or me since she was born (!!).  So it's going to take some adjustment.  We've done our two days this week, and are doing two next week, too.  My plan is to do 2-3 days a week for this term.  Which is more like kindergarten usually is here, than full time school. 
But, to the point: photos!  Here she is on her first ever day....



And after her second day....


Me: 

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's always such a huge adjustment when our little ones go to "school." I'm certain, though, that the trauma is more for the parent than the child! Good luck transitioning -- I hope it works out for the both of you --

Selene said...

Too true, I'm trying to remember it's going way easier for her than for me! I'm all "cat in the cradle" and "sunrise sunset". *sniff* (lol)

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

Oh my mumma heart breaks for you! It's so hard adjusting to 'the next stage' even when you child seems so ready for it...I hope you're all settling into your new routine...

PS: I think you'll love the super sweet giveaway I'm currently running. If you have a moment, stop by!
http://checksandspots.com/lifestyle/phia-giveaway/

Attila the Mom said...

Oh I just adore those curls and that gorgeous smile!

Selene said...

Thanks for the link C & S. And we're adjusting, slowly.

Thanks Attila, we love those curls (but getting her to brush 'em, that's another story!)!